Board Members 2016
Goochland - Mr. John Lumpkins, Jr. - Board Chairman
Greene - Mrs. Sharon Mack
Fluvanna - Ms. Perrie Johnson
Louisa - Ms. Gail Proffitt
Nelson - Ms. Deborah Harvey
Madison - Mr. Joseph Parker
Orange - Mr. Jim Hopkins
Goochland - Dr. Jeremy Raley
Greene - Dr. Andrea Whitmarsh
Fluvanna - Mr. Chuck Winkler
Louisa - Mr. Doug Straley
Nelson - Dr. Jeff Comer
Madison - Dr. Matthew Eberhardt
Orange - Dr. Brenda Tanner
The Governing Board of this Organization shall be a Joint School Board (the “Joint School Board”), as authorized by Section 22.1-26 of the Code of Virginia and consistent with the regulations promulgated by the State Board of Education for “Jointly Owned and Operated Schools and Jointly Operated Programs.”
Section 1: Membership - Membership of the Joint School Board for the Governor’s School shall consist of one member elected from each of the participating member school boards of those listed in Article III. If a member of the Joint School Board ceases to be a member of the school board that elected him/her, that person shall cease to be a member of the Joint School Board. Each school board shall fill vacancies in its membership on the Joint School Board by election for the unexpired term.
Section 2: Compensation - Members of the Joint School board may receive compensation by each of the member school boards. The recommended amount is $100 per meeting plus expenses, not to exceed one meeting per month.
Section 3: Organization - The Joint School Board shall adopt bylaws or rules of operation and shall establish the initial term of its members and may establish committees, which might be needed to carry out its responsibilities.
- (a) The Joint School Board shall elect annually from its membership a Chairman (the “Chairman”) who shall preside at its meetings, and a Vice-Chairman (the “Vice-Chairman”) who shall preside in the absence of the Chairman.
- (b) The Director of the School shall keep a record of all proceedings of the Joint School Board.
Section 4: Meetings - Regular meetings of the Joint School Board shall be held at such times and places and shall be designated by the Joint School Board. All regular meetings of the Joint School Board shall be open to the public. With 7 days notice, the Chairman of the Joint School Board may cancel a regular meeting, except in the case of an emergency. The Joint School Board shall hold an annual organizational meeting. Special meetings of the Joint School Board may be called by the Chairman, or at the request of the Superintendents. Special meetings shall be called for specific purposes and with sufficient notice that the Joint School Board members may attend. Only such business may be transacted as shall be set forth in the call for the special meeting, and then only if a quorum of the Joint School Board is present. The Joint School Board may hold executive sessions when the matters to be discussed fall into the categories allowed by law to be discussed in private. Executive sessions shall be called in the manner prescribed by law. A quorum shall exist for the conduct of business at a duly constituted meeting when three (3) of the six (6) voting members of the Joint School Board are present.
Section 5: Authority of the Joint School Board - The powers and duties of the Joint School Board shall include the following:
- (a) To establish the business, property, and affairs of the Governor’s School and provide for its operation.
- (b) To adopt such rules and regulations as are necessary for the efficient operation of the Governor’s School.
- (c) To make policy decisions necessary to carry out the purposes of the Governor’s School, including instructional and curriculum decisions, consistent with the general laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the regulations of the State Board of Education.
- (d) To approve an operating budget. Each member school board shall provide funds to cover its share of the cost of the Governor’s School and its program.
- (e) To employ the staff required to operate the Governor’s School and its programs. The Joint School Board upon recommendation of the Superintendents’ Committee shall employ personnel, including a Director and teachers required to operate the programs. The Joint School Board shall work to ensure that full-time employment by the Governor’s School shall be kept to the lowest possible level, while ensuring the quality of the program.
- (f) Such other authority as may be provided under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Rules and Regulations promulgated by the State Board of Education and the member school boards.
- (g) The Joint School Board shall not have authority to construct buildings without a 3/4’s concurrence by resolution from the participating local school boards and governing boards of the counties.